New rules were gazetted this week. The Rules provide for:
Movement Into And Out Of The Restricted Area/Public Gatherings
One needs authorization from the Assistant County Commissioner where they need to enter or exit an infected area for purposes of attending a funeral or seeking medical attention except where emergency medical attention is needed.
Gatherings including political, sports or religious gatherings have been prohibited during the restriction period. However,
- funeral attendance is limited to fifty people; and
- night vigils shall not be held in relation to a funeral;
- A wedding or a marriage ceremony may be attended by not more than thirty people;
- Any meeting for a public purpose including security, public health initiative or statutory corporate meeting shall be attended by not more than fifteen people.
The above gatherings shall be allowed provided that the hygiene conditions specified in the Public Health (COVID-19 General Public Safety) Rules, 2021 are adhered to.
- All public transport services including passenger rail services, bus services, taxi cab services, motorcycle services, tricycle services, e-hailing services and domestic passenger flights shall not be allowed into or out of the infected area during the restriction period.
- Public Service Vehicles operating within the infected area are only allowed to carry 60% of its maximum capacity during the restricted period.
Disposal of Dead Bodies
Any dead body shall be interred or cremated within seventy two hours from the time of death.
Operation of Restaurants
- Restaurants shall only sell food on a take away basis as no customers are allowed to eat their meals within the restaurant premises.
- Restaurants are not allowed to sell alcohol.
- Sporting and recreational facilities
- Sporting and recreational facilities including member clubs and gymnasiums shall not operate during the restriction period
Restriction Of Sale Of Alcoholic Drinks
- There shall be no operation of bars, night clubs or entertainment establishments that engage in the sale of alcohol.
- There shall be no consumption of alcohol in public.
All educational institutions will remain closed apart from those offering medical training and those used for the purpose of administering and taking KCSE.
Revocation Of Previous Rules
The Public Health (COVID-19 Restriction of Persons and Related Measures) Rules, 2020 are revoked.
A person who commits an offence under these Rules shall, on conviction, be liable to a fine not exceeding twenty thousand shillings or to imprisonment for a period not exceeding six months or both.
Essential Service Providers
The following are listed as essential service providers:
- Medical professionals and health workers.
- National security officers and national government administration officers.
- Licensed pharmaceuticals companies, pharmacies and drug stores.
- Licensed broadcasters and media houses.
- Kenya Revenue Authority.
- Kenya Airports Authority and Licensed Civil Aviation Service Providers.
- Kenya Civil Aviation Authority.
- Kenya Ports Authority and Licensed Port Operators.
- Power production and distribution Companies.
- Kenya Railways Corporation.
- Kenya Pipeline Company.
- Water and sanitation service providers.
- Food and farm produce processors, distributors, dealers, wholesalers and transporters.
- Licensed supermarkets, minimarkets and hypermarkets.
- Licensed distributors and retailers of petroleum and oil products and lubricants.
- Telecommunications operators and service providers.
- Licensed banks, financial institutions and payment service providers.
- Fire brigade and emergency response services.
- Licensed security firms.
- Postal and Courier services.
- Factory and construction workers
- Cargo transporters