Election timelines and activities
|Resignation of public officers intending to vie for elective posts.||9th February, 2022|
|Political Parties to submit party membership lists to the IEBC.||9th April, 2022.|
|Political parties intending to present candidates in the election to submit the names of persons contesting in the party primaries, the date and venues of the primaries.||9th April, 2022|
|A political party intending to present candidates through direct nominations or party primaries to submit the names of the persons nominated to contest in the election to the IEBC.||28th April, 2022|
|Candidates intending to participate in this election as independent candidates to submit their names and symbols they intend to use during the election to the IEBC.||2nd May, 2022|
|IEBC to publish in the Gazette, the names and symbols of persons intending to contest in the election as independent candidates.||13th May, 2022.|
|Presidential candidates deliver to IEBC a list of at least 2,000 voters registered in each of a majority of the counties.||23rd May, 2022|
|Days for the nomination of political party candidates and independent candidates for the Presidential Election.||29th May, 2022 to 6th June, 2022.|
|Nomination of political party candidates and independent candidates for the National Assembly Elections.||29th May, 2022 to 31st May, 2022|
|Nomination of political party candidates and independent candidates for the Senate Elections.||29th May, 2022 to 31st May, 2022|
|Official campaign period.||29th May, 2022 – 6th August, 2022|
|Nomination of political party candidates and independent candidates for the County Woman Member to the National Assembly elections.||1st June, 2022 to 3rd June, 2022.|
|Nomination of political party candidates and independent candidates for the County Assembly Elections.||1st June, 2022 to 7th June, 2022.|
|Nomination of political party candidates and independent candidates for the County Governor Elections.||4th June, 2022 to 7th June, 2022|
|Lodging and determination of disputes arising from nominations.||9th June, 2022|
|Political parties participating in the General Election to submit their Party List to IEBC.||25th June, 2022|
|Political parties and candidates to appoint and submit to the IEBC the names of the County Tallying Centre Election Agents.||25th July, 2022|
|For presidential elections, political parties and candidates to be appointed and submit the names of the National and Constituency Chief Election Agents to IEBC.||25th July, 2022|
|General Election day||9th August, 2022|
Significant political event of the week:
President Uhuru Kenyatta on Friday, April 22, 2022 announced to the Nation the passing on of H.E. Emilio Mwai Kibaki, the third President of the Republic of Kenya. In his presidential proclamation, President Kenyatta hailed H.E. Mwai Kibaki as a leader who strove so hard and accomplished so much for his country. In honour of the life and times of the former President, President Kenyatta ordered and directed that:
- The Nation to observe a period of national mourning from today until sunset of the day of his interment.
- President Mwai Kibaki to be accorded a State Funeral, with full military honours and protocols being rendered and observed.
- The Flag of the Republic of Kenya to be flown at half-mast at State House and all Kenyan Diplomatic Missions, Public Buildings and Public Grounds, all Military Bases, Posts, and Stations, on all Naval Vessels of the Republic of Kenya, and elsewhere throughout the entire territory of the Republic of Kenya; from Friday, April 22, 2022, until sunset on the day of his interment.
- The President, the Deputy President, the Chief Justice, Cabinet Secretaries, the Speaker of the National Assembly, the Speaker of the Senate, Kenya’s Diplomats abroad and whomsoever else is so authorised by law, shall not fly the national flag on their official motorcade from today until sunset on the day of his interment.
Next upcoming significant event:
- Political parties to submit the names of the persons nominated to contest in the election to the IEBC.