Election timelines and activities
|Official campaign period.||29th May, 2022 – 6th August, 2022|
|Political parties and candidates to appoint and submit to the IEBC the names of the County Tallying Centre Election Agents||25th July, 2022|
|For presidential elections, political parties and candidates to be appointed and submit the names of the National and Constituency Chief Election Agents to IEBC.||25th July, 2022|
|General Election day||9th August, 2022|
Significant political event of the week:
- On Tuesday, July 19, the Deputy Presidential debate took place. The debate involved four candidates who are battling it out for the deputy president slot on joint presidential tickets. The candidates were Martha Karua (Azimio la Umoja One-Kenya Alliance), Rigathi Gachagua (UDA Party), Ruth Mucheru Mutua (Agano Party) and Justina Wambui (Roots Party).
- The Director of Public Prosecutions, Mr Noordin Haji, has revealed that no evidence has been brought against Deputy President William Ruto in connection to the Arror and Kimwarer dam scandal. Speaking on Wednesday, Haji noted that the assumption is that the DP is connected to the case, but his name was not in the files before court.
- President Uhuru Kenyatta launched a food stimulus package which he said was focusing on food subsidies. Among the commodities that were subsidised were; 2kg packets of maize flour which would now cost Ksh100 down from Ksh210. A fuel subsidy program amounting to Ksh 118 billion to retail diesel at Ksh140 instead of Ksh 193,64, Petrol at Ksh 159.12 instead of Ksh209.95 and kerosene at Ksh127.94 instead of Ksh 183.13. Further, he reduced the cost of cooking gas to Ksh3,000 for a 13kg cylinder and 1,400 for 6kg. Electricity was also reduced by 15 per cent.
- The IEBC denounced claims that government security agencies at JKIA had detained ballot papers allegedly imported to the country outside the indicated schedule of election materials. The Commission said the news was fake and that the correct position was that on July 22, the Commission received stickers to aid labelling and distribution of election materials. The JKIA security agencies, as is their procedure, were trying to validate the stickers with the Commission.
Next upcoming significant event:
- Presidential Debate – Tuesday, July 26, 2022.