Election timelines and activities
|Resignation of public officers intending to vie for elective posts||9th February, 2022|
|Political Parties to submit party membership lists to the IEBC.||9th April, 2022.|
|Political parties intending to present candidates in the election to submit the names of persons contesting in the party primaries, the date and venues of the primaries.||9th April, 2022|
|A political party intending to present candidates through direct nominations or party primaries to submit the names of the persons nominated to contest in the election to the IEBC.||28th April, 2022|
|Candidates intending to participate in this election as independent candidates to submit their names and symbols they intend to use during the election to the IEBC.||2nd May, 2022|
|IEBC to publish in the Gazette, the names and symbols of persons intending to contest in the election as independent candidates.||13th May, 2022.|
|Presidential candidates deliver to IEBC a list of at least 2,000 voters registered in each of a majority of the counties.||23rd May, 2022|
|Days for the nomination of political party candidates and independent candidates for the Presidential Election.||29th May, 2022 to 6th June, 2022.|
|Nomination of political party candidates and independent candidates for the National Assembly Elections.||29th May, 2022 to 31st May, 2022|
|Nomination of political party candidates and independent candidates for the Senate Elections.||29th May, 2022 to 31st May, 2022|
|Official campaign period.||29th May, 2022 – 6th August, 2022|
|Nomination of political party candidates and independent candidates for the County Woman Member to the National Assembly elections.||1st June, 2022 to 3rd June, 2022.|
|Nomination of political party candidates and independent candidates for the County Assembly Elections.||1st June, 2022 to 7th June, 2022.|
|Nomination of political party candidates and independent candidates for the County Governor Elections.||4th June, 2022 to 7th June, 2022|
|Lodging and determination of disputes arising from nominations.||9th June, 2022|
|Political parties participating in the General Election to submit their Party List to IEBC||25th June, 2022|
|Political parties and candidates to appoint and submit to the IEBC the names of the County Tallying Centre Election Agents.||25th July, 2022|
|For presidential elections, political parties and candidates to be appointed and submit the names of the National and Constituency Chief Election Agents to IEBC.||25th July, 2022|
|General Election day||9th August, 2022|
Significant political event of the week:
The Cabinet Secretary for the National Treasury and Planning on 7th April 2022 submitted before the National Assembly the Budget highlights and revenue raising measures for the FY 2022/2023. This year’s Kshs 3.3 trillion budget aims to focus on accelerating economic recovery for improved livelihood.
Some of the takeaways from the Budget include:
- The Government will exempt petroleum products from the planned 10% increase in excise duty.
- The Government proposes to replace the debt ceiling with a debt anchor and set it at 55% of debt to GDP in present value terms.
- Ksh 22.9 billion was allocated in the current FY 2021/22 and the government proposed a further allocation of Ksh 21.7 billion in the FY 2022/23 to the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC) for conducting the August General Election.
- The Kenya Revenue Authority seeks to rename itself to Kenya Revenue Service in line with its goal of becoming more customer-centric.
- A draft national National Tax Policy to guide tax administration will soon be shared with stakeholders and peer review institutions for inputs.
Next upcoming significant event:
- Political Parties to submit party membership lists to the IEBC on April 9, 2022.
- Political parties that intend to present candidates in the election to submit the names of persons contesting in the party primaries, the date and venues of the primaries on April 9, 2022.