2019 achievements Electricity Sub-Sector
- The Olkaria 5 Unit I and II with an installed capacity of 158MW
- The 310MW Lake Turkana Wind Power
- The 50MW Garissa Solar Plant
These three projects have seen the country’s installed capacity increase to 2819MW
The Petroleum Sub-Sector
Key highlights during the year include:
- Gazettement of the Legal Notice 100/ 2019 commonly known as the Energy(Liqueﬁed Petroleum Gas) Regulations, 2019.
- For the ﬁrst time, the Authority revised the Kenya Pipeline Company (KPC) pipeline tariﬀs to set a cost reﬂective tariﬀ as mandated by Law in the Energy Act No. 1 of 2019.
- Implemented the Cost of Services Study in the Supply of Petroleum products (COSSOP) in order to realign the margins and costs for the supply of petroleum products to ensure cost reﬂective petroleum prices along the supply chain.
- Completed development of the Petroleum Road Tanker permit stickers with Quick Response (QR) code essential in eliminating malpractices in petroleum road transportation by enabling tanker identiﬁcation and tracking.
- Improved security of supply of Premium Motor Spirit (PMS) and Automotive Gas Oil (AGO) from 5 days to 8 days and 10 days to 15 days respectively.
The Renewable Energy Sub-Sector 2019 Highlights:
- In 2019, the Authority conducted the Regulatory Impact Study of the Energy (Solar Photovoltaic Systems) Regulations, 2012 to assess the impact of the regulations on the development of the solar PV industry in Kenya. The exercise resulted into Draft Energy (Solar Photovoltaic Systems) Regulations, 2019 that are to be taken through stakeholder engagement in 2020.
- Incorporated renewable energy projects into the Medium Term Plan for Least Cost Power Development 2018-2023.