The Judicial Service Commission was established under Article Article 171(1) of the Constitution of Kenya.
The Commission consists of the following 11 members:
- The Chief Justice, who shall be the chairperson of the Commission;
- One Supreme Court judge elected by the judges of the Supreme Court;
- One Court of Appeal judge elected by the judges of the Court of Appeal;
- One High Court judge and one magistrate, one a woman and one a man, elected by the members of the association of judges and magistrates;
- The Attorney-General;
- Two advocates, one a woman and one a man, each of whom has at least fifteen years’ experience, elected by the members of the statutory body responsible for the professional regulation of advocates;
- One person nominated by the Public Service Commission; and
- One woman and one man to represent the public, not being lawyers, appointed by the President with the approval of the National Assembly.