Hon. Tobiko is the Cabinet Secretary Ministry of Environment and Forestry. He is an Advocate of the High Court of Kenya.
Mr. Tobiko began his career as a bank clerk at Barclays Bank of Kenya (BBK) in 1985. In 1992, he acted as Legal Officer at the Public Law Institute (PLI) before serving as an Assistant Lecturer in Law at the University of Nairobi between 1992 and 1993.
In 1993 he established his law firm, Tobiko and Associates Advocates, and served for twelve (12) years as a Senior Partner. He has served in various capacities in the public service. Among them are: -
- Between 2011 and 2018 he was the Director of Public Prosecutions;
- Between 2010 and 2011 he was the Chief Public Prosecutor;
- In 2005 he was the Director of Public Prosecution (DPP), 2005;
- Between 1999 and 2002, he was the Commissioner, in the Commission of inquiry in to land law systems in Kenya;
- Between 2000 and 2005, he was the Commissioner in the Constitution of Kenya Review Commission (CKRC);
- Between 2017 and 2018 he was Member of the Governing Council of the National Crime Research Centre (NCRC),
- Between 2008 and 2018, he was the Member of the Advisory Board of Witness Protection Agency (WPA);
- In 2009, he was ad hoc secretary to the Constitutional Advisory Committee on Prerogative of Mercy,
- He was the alternative to Hon. Attorney General (AG) as member of the Ransely Taskforce on police reforms; and was an alternate to the Hon. AG on Cabinet sub-committee on International Criminal Court(ICC); and
- Finally, he served as Chairperson, Advisory Board of the Office of the DPP.
Additionally, Mr. Tobiko has received a number of awards throughout the years;
- GadhiSmarak Award for best ‘A’ Level student (1984) (Kenya);
- Barclays Cambridge Commonwealth Scholarship (1990) for Kenya;
- Pegasus Cambridge Scholarship, 1990;
- Fellow of Cambridge Commonwealth Society (FCCS); (e) Frist class Chef of the
- Order of the Burning Spear (CBS), 2011; (f) Rank and dignity of a Senior Counsel,
Mr. Tobiko has authored several publications and papers. He holds a Bachelors of Laws degree from University on Nairobi, 1989. He also holds a Diploma in Law from the Kenya School of Law 1990 and a Masters of Laws degree from Cambridge University, 1991.